So Glad You Asked

A reader asks if I have favorites from the Hockney show--whooo boy! There is literally not enough data storage in my blog to put them all here. But I'll post a few teensy images.
First understand that I LOVE Monet's Cathedral at Rouen series (he painted the same facade over & over, in all light & seasons).
So I was mesmerized by Hockney's GIANT SCALE, EVOLVING images of single sites in the English countryside, through the seasons. **The images here simply cannot give a sense of the SCALE or the "MOVIE"-like evolution--which is why you MUST get to this show ASAP.
It's ONLY in SF, too!


Top is GINORMOUS, surrounds you in a room; Center shows Hockney (for scale!); Bottom is a fave series of mine as the landscape reminds me of my cousin's farm in Amelia County, Va.


ps I also enjoyed the room displaying Hockney's theory that certain Renaissance painters used MIRRORS & CAMERAS to make their paintings. The Art Establishment labeled him a nut-job for this theory of course. Interestingly, most scientists & physicists think he's right…. More food for thought.

1 comment:

  1. The part of the Hockney show that did speak to me was being surrounded by the evolving and changing of the seasons of one beautiful spot, it was hard to break away as it was so delightful. The huge scale just took you deeply in to this unique piece of artwork

    ReplyDelete