Do NOT buy art as an investment

The Scream by Edvard Munch. Sold for $120mm at auction. And he made 3 others....
This will cost me some friends, but I can't stand it. Yes, my finger is wagging as I say it:
Do NOT buy art as an investment!

Reality: What's "hot" in art is like fashion, it comes & goes.
Often it comes again, but maybe not during YOUR lifetime.
I've watched two friends over the last decade acquire "important collections" (their words), then try to unload them. Circumstances changed, they wanted cash. RUDE awakening: their important collections wouldn't move. The gallerists of course had guaranteed to take back the works for resale at ANY time--but that is NOT a refund, not cash in hand.

More reality: There are FEW people qualified to buy art for investment. They are professionals, who devote HUGE amounts of time to studying the market.
That is not you, not me, and not 99.9% of gallerists. Really.

So back to my strategy at 6 yrs old: buy works that excite you, in a price range that is comfortable.
Embrace the importance and pleasure of having art in your life.
Set aside some cash, then have some FUN (unlike Edvard's poor guy).

No comments:

Post a Comment